Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsaw Uprising of 1944 Theme

Hello all,

As many of you know, one of my main focuses of research and collecting is the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. I enjoy learning about both sides of this epic struggle. The purpose of the event was for the Polish Home Army to not only expel remaining German forces from Poland's capital but to also to reinstall Poland's government-in-exile back into power before the Soviets could "liberate" the city and place their own communist puppet government. After 63 days of fierce combat, the German forces defeated the Polish Home Army, which allowed the Soviets to place their own occupation that lasted for over 44 years. Sadly, the heroes of the anti-communist Home Army found themselves enemies of the Soviet and communist Polish government. Those who could not escape to the West found themselves hunted, persecuted, imprisoned, and even executed for decades after the war. It was only after the collapse of communism in 1989 that these heroes were fully recognized by their own government.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulR; 09-02-2019, 03:58 AM.

A selection of original Polish Home Army armbands and a couple of small medal groups.
    Attached Files

Comment

A German Sani-Feldwebel who served in both WW1 and WW2. He spent the entire war serving in hospitals in Warsaw. He was a witness to both the 1943 and 1944 uprisings. I wish I knew his perspective of these events.

Does anyone know anything about these specific military hospitals or where they were located within the city? Strangely he seems to have been transferred about a month after the start of 1944 uprising to a hospital in Berlin. It makes me question why? Why transfer a needed resource during the height of a battle?

Another oddity. Despite all of his years of service and his rank, his only award for two wars is the Combatants Hindenburg Cross. It’s almost as if he was not overly enthusiastic about his job. I’d would've expected at least a War Merit Cross. My thoughts are that he would not have been promoted to the senior NCO ranks if he was not competent and trusted in his job.
      Attached Files

Comment

A second-tier figure. Major Max Reck. Major Max Reck, instructor in Inspection 10 at the Posen Infantry Officer Candidate School V in Posen, was ordered to respond to the Uprising, along with his class of officer candidates. During his transit to Warsaw, he assembled a force that consisted of various small units along the way. These men ranged from small security detachments to police to even small Luftwaffe Flak detachments. Although he arrived to the area on the 3rd if August, it was not until the 6th of August that Kampfgruppe Reck was assembled. It was this force that was responsible for the northern sector.

From the 1962 warcrime trial of Reinefarth... I'd love to learn more about this:

"The meaning of the issued "Führer command" was not immediately obvious to Reck when the command was given, but he later realized it, when on the morning of 5 August 1944 after the beginning of the attack the question of what to do with a group of about 300 - 400 civilians was raised, that were taken out of the houses in the area of operations of the "Attack Group North". Reck took the view that the “Führer command” called for the killing of these people, a consequence which he disapproved of. After consulting with his battalion officers, including Lieutenant Doctor Werner, who also disagreed with the execution of the “Führer command” on the civilians, Reck sent someone to the Command of the Battle Group Reinefarth to obtain explicit instructions for the treatment of the civilians.

Reck has expressed in his testimony as a witness on 11 December 1962, that he originally thought it was the midshipman Q u e r m a n n, his aide, whom he had sent to Reinefarth, Quermann denied this however during a conversation Reck had with him shortly before this statement, he -Reck- is now unsure whether it had indeed been Quermann, because of that Quermann himself has claimed in his testimony from 6 November 1962, that was given before this conversation with Reck was being held, that he any orders being given, that all Poles in Warsaw should be slaughtered; of a “Führer and Himmler order” with the content that the entire population of Warsaw should be wiped out and that the city was to be razed to the ground, he says he never heard of (Bl. 46). The member of the Battalion sent to the Command of the Combat Group Reinefarth on the morning of 5 August 1944, came back with the information that the inquiry was superfluous, the command issued was clear. Who gave this information in the Command Reinefarth, is not known. Still, Reck eluded the consequence of the “Führer Order” by having the civilians brought backward behind the railway line, and by their release there with instructions to take off toward the west. Reck assumed, according to his statement, that west of the railway line the content of the “Führer Order” had no validity. Former First Lieutenant Dr. Werner will be interviewed about this incident and can possibly give additional information on the messenger and the respondent in the Command Reinefarth.

The witness Reck denied having passed on the “Führer Order” on the morning of 5 August 1944, also he did not say that there should be taken no prisoners (Bl.56)."

I need to learn more about this action.... I wish I could find the testimony of Dr Werner.
        Attached Files

Comment

To a private wounded from the Landschutzen 997
          Attached Files

Comment

Officer candidate student from Infantry Officer Candidate School V in Posen was ordered to march under the command of Major Max Reck to fight in the Uprising. He was severely wounded in the Uprising and fought in the last days of the war.
            Attached Files

Comment

Excellent dedicated collection Paul, interesting research! That Max Reck group is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightstalker View Post
                Excellent dedicated collection Paul, interesting research! That Max Reck group is outstanding.
                Thanks man. Greatly appreciated. There are a few other Home Army armband varients I'd like to find (WSK/WP- nurse and platoon numbered WPs) an some other attributed items. Strangely enough, the German items are far easier to find. I''m glad you like Max's set. His is the German centerpiece of the collection. His contribution is annotated in just about all serious works on the battle. Lieutenant Augustowski won the Virtuti Militari for his contribution during the battle, so his set is the centerpiece of the Polish side for me. I'd love to find something from Berling's men or any Soviet award related to their contributions (or rather screw over) to the Home Army

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thats a heck of a grouping. Thanks for showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastien T. View Post
                    Hi Paul,

Thats a heck of a grouping. Thanks for showing.
                    Thanks my friend. I hope to add to this thread over the near future.
                    Last edited by PaulR; 09-03-2019, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X